Apply now for a heat pump funding
Boiler Upgrade Scheme
What is it about?
The government is providing grants to encourage property owners to install low carbon heating systems such as heat pumps, through the Boiler Upgrade Scheme (BUS). These grants can help property owners overcome the upfront cost of low carbon heating technologies.
The scheme is open to domestic and small non-domestic properties in England and Wales. It runs from 2022 to 2025.
You can get:
- £5,000 off the cost and installation of an air source heat pump
- £5,000 off the cost and installation of a biomass boiler
- £6,000 off the cost and installation of a ground source heat pump
You can get one grant per property.
Who can apply to the scheme?
It’s open to homeowners, as well as owners of small business properties, in England and Wales only.
To apply, you’ll need to:
- Own your property (this can be a home or a small business property).
- Have a property with an installation capacity up to 45kWth (this covers most homes).
- Have a valid Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). Your EPC must not have any outstanding recommendations for loft or cavity wall insulation (unless you have an insulation exemption).
How to avail the BUS Scheme?
Your installer will apply for the grant on your behalf. The value of the grant will be discounted off the price you pay. The voucher application will be installer-led and consist of 2 stages.
Before the installation:
1. The first stage is to locate an MCS credited heat pump installer and instruct them to apply for the BUS scheme.
2. The installer will then apply for the grant and go through all required eligibility checks.
3. Ofgem will then contact the homeowner to confirm their consent.
4. Ofgem will assess the application and once satisfied and have received consent from the homeowner, the grant will be issued to the installer.
1. The installer will complete the installation.
2. The installer will provide evidence of the installation to redeem the grant amount. Ofgem will assess the redemption voucher.
3. Ofgem will then pay the grant to the installer. Ofgem intends to make a payment to the installer for the amount associated with the redeemed voucher within a week of notification that the application has been successful.
What if you’re claiming other grants or funding?
You can still apply for the Boiler Upgrade Scheme if you’ve received separate funding for energy efficiency upgrades, such as insulation or energy efficient doors and windows.
However, properties that have already received government funding or support for a heat pump or biomass boiler, such as through the Green Homes Grant scheme, are not eligible for the Boiler Upgrade Scheme.
source: Energy Savings Trust